Friday, November 5, 2010

Oh Darlin', don't you ever grow up.

I took some time and listened to Taylor Swift's new album Speak Now.
As I was listening along while cleaning up my room, this song in particular stopped me in my tracks.


Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift- my song to Jaelyn Ryleigh (sorry for the bad quality, it's the best one I could find)


Your little hand's wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light
To you everything's funny, you got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart
And no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up

You're in the car on the way to the movies
And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off
At 14 there's just so much you can't do
And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots
But don't make her drop you off around the block
Remember that she's getting older too
And don't lose the way that you dance around in your pj's getting ready for school

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
No one's ever burned you, nothing's ever left you scarred
And even though you want to, just try to never grow up

Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all your little brother's favorite songs
I just realized everything I have is someday gonna be gone

So here I am in my new apartment
In a big city, they just dropped me off
It's so much colder that I thought it would be
So I tuck myself in and turn my night light on

Wish I'd never grown up
I wish I'd never grown up

Oh I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
I could still be little
Oh I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
It could still be simple
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
Won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
And even though you want to, please try to never grow up
Oh, don't you ever grow up
Oh, never grow up, just never grow up
(lyrics courtesy of lyrics.com)





I feel a good cry coming on.  I love it when I can find songs that I can truly relate to.  I don't ever want my little Bug to ever grow up.. it's a tough world out there, and I don't ever want the reality of that big bad world to swoop up my little babe and eat her alive.

I have a feeling this is the number one struggle the us as parents go through.  Our kids grow up, & we can't stop them.. we can just do all we can to hold their hand and walk them through this world while showing them the in's and outs.  I know I need to accept the fact that Jaelyn isn't going to learn everything strictly from her know-it-all Mom and her uber-protective Dad. 
Photo by: My beautiful Mama

She's eventually going to need to walk through this world without her Mama and Daddy looking over her shoulder at all times.  All we can do is love on our girl with all the love we have and give her "atta-girls" & "I wouldn't do that if I were you's" on the way.


But I'm going to continue to say this, until it is time for me to let go... "Don't you ever grow up".  I will continue to cherish the little things that make my heart skip a beat.  





I wish she will always hold my hand.  Nothing is more assuring than her little hand holding onto mine ever so tightly.  Nothing is more heart warming than her ear-to-ear smile and her deep down belly laughs.


To you everything's funny, you got nothing to regret.  I'd give all I have, honey, If you could stay like that.


Good night, Big Moon.  Sweet dreams, Baby.  If I could have one wish tonight, it would be that you'll always keep the starlight in your eyes.  Some day you'll grow up, one day you'll walk out in this big world on your own.  There will be days when your heart will break, and you will swear that all your strength is gone.  And then you'll find a way to carry on.



I just wish life could stay this simple.  I wish she could stay innocent forever.  It really is harsh out there, and to see my little girl in pain in gut wrenching.  I will do my best, as her parent, to show my daughter the "right" way to walk through life, and I will comfort her, love her, hold her hand, hug & kiss her, and teach her the necessary lessons of life.  

I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart, and no one will desert you. 


Just try to never grow up, never grow up.


I love you, Jaelyn Ryleigh.












Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This gave me goosebumps and tears. So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious Jen! I have to go listen to that song now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, I loved reading this thanks for sharing your thoughts. thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet. I feel the same way. I know it's cliche, but I really do with I could stop time sometimes. My little guy is growing SO fast right before my eyes. STOP baby, and stay my baby boy forever. I know that as he grows it will be bitter sweet. And I know that they will start to recognize the evils of the world around them, oh I fear those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a precious post. brings tears to my eyes. so very true. I hate the thought of my Noah growing up so fast. Love that song!! thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete